For some reason, I had the bonkers idea to sniff, sample and review as many perfumes as I can in 2010....

Sunday 14 March 2010

Review - Vetiver Bourbon (Miller Harris)

Originally posted at Dreamwidth on February 25, 2010.

Vetiver Bourbon is a rich Hatian vetiver fragrance with additional notes of oak moss, vetiver bourbon and patchouli.

Wow. Astringent. Vetiver is one of those things that can be gorgeous or totally ICK. This is bitter, yet warm, sharp yet sweet. This is almost antiseptic yet the oakmoss behind it is musty and soothing.


I'm trying very hard not to slather myself in this as it sits SO close to the skin and I really want a big hit of it. That would be wrong, this is a subtle scent, quite intimate and sensual. Such a contrast to that big fat tuberose that I wore yesterday, yet equally as entrancing.

(WHY can't I just like something cheap and cheerful? Something I could get from Fragrance Direct?)

My one line description for my SOTD Twitter feed was "HELP I'M LOST IN THE WOODS" and this somehow reminds me of The Company of Wolves.. hmmm, projecting much, Heather? But actually as it settles there is something very woody and animalic about it, so it's not that far off.

This is very BPALy, if you like their darker muskier scents, then chances are you'd like this too. Of course it's pricier than BPAL, which is a bugger, but damn it smells good and Gothy...

Like Feuilles de Tabac it appears to have some good staying power, it hasn't diminished in the last 6 hours, so it will be interesting to see just how long it hangs around.

Not for everybody by a long chalk, but utterly delicious and very striking. Best place to get a sample will be from the lovely The Perfumed Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment