For some reason, I had the bonkers idea to sniff, sample and review as many perfumes as I can in 2010....

Sunday 14 March 2010

Review - Nuits de Noho (Bond No 9)

Originally posted at Dreamwidth on February 20, 2010.


Top Notes
Bergamot, Mandarin, Pineapple Leaves.

Middle Notes
Jasmine, Rosewood.

Base Notes
Vanilla, Patchouli, Grey Musk.


What is that... that THING? This is all over the shop on first application, shifting at every sniff. STAY STILL DAMMIT!!!
There's a cologne-y element, something very sweet, a bit of floral. Something tells me this is another bastard child of Thierry Mugler's Angel.

The floral is jasmine, and it's lovely and warm, but then you have the pineapple leaves jostling in at regular intervals shouting SMELL ME SMELL ME SMELL ME. Needless to say I can't smell any of the mandarin (DAMN YOU CITRUS), and sadly the vanilla drowns most of the patchouli and bergamot.

This is immense, just not sure if it's in a good way, more in a "break your brain" kind of way.

As it settles down more, of all things, the pineapple leaves seem to hang around. The vanilla buggers off, the patchouli and musk are non-existant. Then after a couple of hours it struck me as to where I'd smelt something like this before. As a child someone bought me a perfume that was in a square cut bottle with a little felted plastic cat. This is EXACTLY what Nuits de Noho smells like once it's settled. I'm pretty sure that was not what Bond No 9 intended.

And then... before you know it... it's gone leaving just a slight manilla envelope smell from the grey musk.



If you love Angel, you probably don't need this. If you don't love Angel but want a schizoid scent, and want to smell like a 9 year old, then this is for you. Otherwise, I'd keep looking...

1 comment:

  1. I find Nuits De Noho to be a bold, sexy scent- I've never cared for Angel, I find it to smell like a bad rendition of a sexy scent. Still, I can see the similarities between Nuits De Noho and Angel, especially the clean patchouli note. I think of Nuits De Noho as being the grown-up version of Angel in some ways. Angel is sort of the loud teenage awkward version, and somehow it grew up into a sexy, confident adult- that would be Nuits De Noho. I love it because it's not severely floral or sweet in a conventional way, the vanilla is very dry like a bourbon vanilla, the citrus disappears entirely in the first 10 minutes, and I am left with a spicy scent with a dark jasmine note. It never turns musty or powdery on me, which is my pet peeve with many of the heavier, sexy scents.

    ReplyDelete