For some reason, I had the bonkers idea to sniff, sample and review as many perfumes as I can in 2010....

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Review - Le Petit Grain (Miller Harris)

Sweet orange and angelica racine are fused with bergamot from Italy and Sicilian lemon, grounded with rosemary, red thyme, French tarragon and lavender. The heart is petitgrain essence and Tunisian neroli, whilst the base is oakmoss, vetiver and patchouli leaves.

Citrus scents seem to fade very quickly on my skin, so I'm curious to see how well Le Petit Grain lasts. It smells fantastic in the bottle, a huge, natural smelling orange hit (as opposed to the fun plastic fizz of something like Ma Dame). On my skin, wet, wow I still get a big citrus kick with a touch of tarragon of all things and a hint of bergamot.

This is a gorgeous scent, although the orange retreats quickly, so it lies very close to my skin. Sigh. Oh orange scents, won't you stay and play... (I think I'm going to have the same issue with Penhaligon's beautifully diaphanous Orange Blossom... *Sigh*)

Once again I've chosen exactly the wrong perfume for today. Although Le Petit Grain doesn't make me sleepy, it's the complete antithesis of the current weather. This is a spring/summer scent, full of air and light. It feels like it's battling against the all the heavy rain.

Sadly after about an hour ALL the citrus has disappeared and I'm left with a very light vetiver/oakmoss that is as warm and furry as a sleepy dormouse. It sits very close to my skin and is deliciously soft, more so than you'd expect from vetiver. Trouble is, as ever I have a lot of scents with this kind of drydown, and I really want more of that lovely citrus hit.

The basenotes ended up lasting another five and a half hours, so I can't really complain.
If citrus scents are your thing, then this is a must purchase for Spring/Summer. Truly scrumptious. If you're like me with citrus it's still worth a sample, you may be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment