For some reason, I had the bonkers idea to sniff, sample and review as many perfumes as I can in 2010....

Sunday, 14 March 2010

Review - Cabaret (Gres)

Originally posted on Dreamwidth on February 26, 2010.

Cabaret (2003) was created by perfumer Michel Almairac and contains notes of rose, lily of the valley, peony, pink bay, violet, blue orris, patchouli, incense, sandalwood, amber and musk.

First hit, ooh soapy cologne but is there's something lurking just behind it that's a little dirtier? Whatever that note was it disappeared very quickly, I'm guessing to resurface later.

This is very clean... which is nice if you want to smell of soap, not perfume. The lily of the valley hasn't shown up yet, thank goodness, although I'm sure it will just when I least expect it.

Damn but this is relentlessly cheery, like an overly perky galpal. I am aware that in the foul mood I'm in today, I may end up making Caberet cry and hate myself for it. It's a cheerleader in scent clothing. All shiny on the outside. But as it settles, slightly darker on the inside. Like a really bitchy cheerleader who gives blowjobs behind the stands. Trouble is that darker stuff, the patchouli, incense, sandalwood all sits far too close to the skin for me to really enjoy.

Look dammit, this isn't the scent for me today. I suspect that it is actually quite good but that my skin is eating up some of the more interesting notes. Also being rude about it is more fun that being objective. It's not inept, it's not a scrubber, it's probably quite good on other skins. It's also quite cheap if you shop around.

No comments:

Post a Comment