For some reason, I had the bonkers idea to sniff, sample and review as many perfumes as I can in 2010....

Sunday 14 March 2010

Review - Alien Liqueur EDP (Thierry Mugler)

Originally posted at Dreamwidth on February 23, 2010.

Top Notes:
Jasmine (Sambac), Cardamom

Heart Notes:
Coumarin, Cumin, Orange blossom

Base Notes:
Amber (white), Heliotrope, Almond


Boozy whiff wet, then jasmine and cardamom almost straight away. This is very sweet on the skin but with a sharp whiff somewhere just behind it. Not surprisingly, bearing in mind it comes from the same stable as Angel, this shifts around a bit. That sharp smell is the almond I think, already coming to the fore. In fact, it's SO almond-y it's a bit like being pelted with soft amaretti macaroons.


It's also quite spicy, in a kitchen spicy kind of way, the cumin is pretty clear after about 5 minutes. I like this as a smell, I think, but not necesssarily as a perfume. And other than the first sniff out of the bottle, I'm not getting a lot of rum out of this which is a bit of a disappointment.

Eventually the amber really starts to shine through, the almonds retreat and you have glowingly subtle white flowers. Once it settles it is a very warm scent with great silage.

It's...nice... but that's all on me, just nice. It lasts well too, after my shower I can still smell it faintly on my skin. If you like white florals (and as we've seen before, I'm not over keen), then this is a very good choice. I'd say it's more mature and sophisticated than Angel. A good day wear perfume, once you've got past the whole "amaretti avalanche".

No comments:

Post a Comment